Saturday, January 26, 2008

nosefly

Yesterday, we were discussing how God compares us to sheep. Its interesting how far the analogy extends. Apparently, sheep are pestered with the nosefly that lays its eggs in mucuos membrane. The larvae burrow into their little heads, ick. The poor sheep try everything to get rid of them, including smashing their heads on any available hard object. This goes on until the larvae leave or the sheep pounds itself to death. Not a pretty picture. But a good shepherd pours ointment over the sheep's head to rid it of the nosefly.
I really wasn't getting the nosefly connection to a human and their relationship with the Lord as a shepherd. We don't have larvae digging into our brains or the complusion to purposefully hit our heads really hard. But! Noseflies can be thoughts, lies, circumstances, anything that we let burrow deep into our thought patterns. The things that we dwell on and beat ourselves up over. Usually we when decide its time to let it go, God does his work and provides the cure.
Not that being a sheep is all that flattering, I just appreciate God as a Shepherd for us.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
-Psalm 23